What Sustainability Looks Like in our Companies
We care deeply about preserving our water, land and natural resources for future generations because we know that fertile land produces healthy cows and healthy cows provide fresh, great tasting milk. We reduce waste, reuse resources and recycle what we can to give future generations access to the same high quality milk you enjoy today.
Our sustainability efforts include:
- Reducing consumption with energy efficient light bulbs, motors, fans, pumps, and compressors.
- Reusing resources like manure to fertilize our fields, or eight million gallons of water from reverse osmosis water silos on our farms.
- Recycling milk crates, batteries, oil, paper, cardboard, aluminum, and more than two million pounds of plastic.
What We're Saving
Our farmer-owned dairies preserve and protect precious resources through more than 1,000 sustainability projects. Here's a glimpse into the results of our efforts. Last year we:
- Saved 508,000 pounds of resin
- Saved 115 million gallons of water
- Recycled 2,000 batteries
- Recycled 31,000 gallons of oil
- Recycled 2,500 tons of cardboard
- Recycled 117,922 pounds of office paper
- Recycled 2 million pounds of plastic
- Recycled 6,000 pounds of aluminum
Together, these efforts saved 19,085 barrels of oil and a total of 6,662,402 kWh of electricity… that's enough electricity to power the average American home for more than 228,200 days!